Sunday, June 25, 2023

Tribute 772.

Tribute to My Friend K.V.Gopalan772 Today, I am compelled to write about an extraordinary individual who imparted invaluable knowledge and wisdom to me in my professional journey. This exceptional person is none other than my esteemed senior and close friend, K.V. Gopalan, who, enticed by the captivating world of the pharmaceutical industry, left his government job to join a renowned pharmaceutical company six decades ago. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a prominent clinic in Royapuram, where we introduced ourselves. At the time, I was newly employed by a Kolkata-based company, stationed at their Chennai headquarters, responsible for covering areas like Royapuram. After our introduction, he graciously invited me to a nearby restaurant, where we enjoyed a cup of tea and engaged in a delightful conversation lasting ten minutes. I immediately noticed his strong work ethic and his aversion to wasting time unnecessarily. During our discussion, he inquired about my area of expertise and where I resided. Upon learning that I did not possess a mode of transportation, he generously offered that I visit his house every evening between 4:00 PM and 4:30 PM from my residence in southMadras, as he owned a splendid motorbike. The following day, I embarked on my daily journey from Tambaram, my residence, to his abode in Kodambakkam via the electric train. I found this arrangement to be highly beneficial, as I was new to the area and yearned for expert guidance. By that time, K.V. Gopalan had accumulated three years of experience at the renowned British Drug House, granting him profound familiarity with the territory. I expressed my gratitude to the heavens for blessing me with such an exceptional friend and mentor. Sharp at 4:00 PM the next day, I arrived at his residence on Sarathy Street, near Kodambakkam station. He introduced me to his family members, and his mother kindly offered me tea, as she knew of my aversion to coffee. Observing my attire, K.V. Gopalan advised me against wearing a single knot tie and proceeded to demonstrate how to fasten a double knot, deemed the mark of an executive. Each day, he patiently instructed me on the art of presenting my products to various qualified doctors. Since my company had not provided any formal training, his guidance proved immensely valuable in presenting my products effectively. Most importantly, he instilled in me the courage to approach consultants and highly qualified professionals without fear, empowering me to deliver my product presentations in a sophisticated manner. Even after more than six decades, I still remember him fondly for his demeanor and the double knot tie. I consider myself blessed to have encountered such experienced and knowledgeable friends throughout my life. Today, I reflect upon this memorable individual and express my gratitude for the profound impact he had on me. K. Ragavan Until we meet next week, 26-6-23

No comments: