Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Letter.

 Letter Published in The National UAE on 5July 21

UAE’s lost cinema stories bring back a flood of memories

With reference to John Dennehy’s article UAE then and now: the lost cinema of Dubai (August 4): this was a well-written and interesting piece. It brought back memories for me. There are not enough stand alone cinemas left in most big cities and as an avid movie-watcher, I feel this loss. It’s a good idea to celebrate lesser known aspects of the city and to remind people, and even educate the younger ones or the newer residents, of what the city used to be like. The history of UAE’s cinemas was nicely elaborated. The black and white photographs were especially atmospheric.

Back when I used to work in the UAE, on many occasions, I visited Al Nasr Cinema – now no longer functional. I remember those days fondly. I used to go to all these places. Sharjah Cinema, too. Over the past few decades, there has been such a dramatic growth in the Emirates and cinemas are now mostly inside the malls. The rapid change is impressive but it makes me nostalgic for the old days.

K Ragavan, Bengaluru, India

No comments: