Thursday, August 15, 2024

Small story 5. Touching Journey.

Touching Journey Kesav boarded the bus to Tirunelveli, feeling a mix of anticipation and fatigue. It was his first journey to the city in years, and though he had usually traveled by night train, he had to settle for the bus this time due to a lack of reservations. As he found his seat, he noticed a familiar face . "Hi, you’re Shekar, right?" Kesav asked eagerly. The man turned to him with a puzzled look and replied, "Sorry, I’m not Shekar. My name is Ramu." Kesav’s smile faltered. He felt a pang of disappointment, scolding his memory for failing him. He had been looking forward to catching up with an old schoolmate he hadn’t seen in a decade, and now it seemed that hope had evaporated. As the bus started its journey from Madurai to Tirunelveli, Kesav’s thoughts were interrupted by a call from his wife, Shobana. "Hello, Kesav. Don’t forget to buy two kilos of Tirunelveli halwa—one for us and one for my friend Nithya. And remember, you’re coming back tomorrow night." Kesav chuckled, "Of course, Shobana. How could I forget? Tirunelveli halwa is sweeter like the people here, and the Thamirabarani water is the best!" The bus made a stop at Kovilpatti, and passengers poured out to grab coffee. Kesav stretched his legs and reboarded the bus. As they resumed their journey, he glanced at the man beside him, who seemed to be lost in thought. Finally, after an hour and a half, the bus arrived at the Tirunelveli bus stand. Kesav grabbed his suitcase and stepped off, looking around for an auto to take him to his hotel. To his surprise, Ramu, his seatmate, was also getting off the bus. An unfamiliar man approached Ramu with a warm smile. "Hello, Shekar! How are you?" the man said, shaking Ramu’s hand. Kesav’s heart skipped a beat. “Shekar? But…you said your name was Ramu…” Ramu looked at Kesav, his expression solemn. “I’m sorry. My real name is shekhar. I had to tell you I was Ramu because I didn’t want to burden you with the truth.” Kesav was puzzled. Before he could respond, Shekar turned to the man who had greeted him. "I’m sorry for deceiving you, old friend. I didn't want to tell you the truth. I’m at the final stage of cancer, and the doctors have said there’s nothing more they can do. I didn’t want to dampen your visit with this news. I wanted to remember our time together as happy and carefree." Tears welled up in Kesav’s eyes as he absorbed the gravity of the situation. His old friend was struggling with such a profound challenge, and he had been completely unaware. "Shekar," Kesav said softly, embracing his old friend, "I wish you had told me sooner. But know this: your strength and bravery are what matter now. Let’s make the most of the time we have together. We’ll share memories and stories, and I’ll cherish every moment." As they headed to the waiting vehicle, Kesav realized that sometimes, the most touching journeys are the ones that reveal the deepest truths. In the midst of pain and sorrow, he found solace in the enduring bond of friendship and the chance to make a difference in someone’s final days. Together, they set off towards Shekar’s home, where Kesav hoped to bring a little sweetness into his friend’s life, just as his wife had reminded him to bring the Tirunelveli halwa. K.Ragavan

No comments: