Saturday, October 10, 2026

Small Story 760.

 


Small Story 760
 A Misunderstanding Cleared
Shreya never expected to receive a phone call from Nirupa inviting her and her family to attend the Navaratri celebrations at her house on one of the festive days.
For the past two years, Nirupa had not invited Shreya to her celebrations. Shreya had assumed that Nirupa no longer wished to maintain their friendship and had quietly accepted the situation. Therefore, this unexpected invitation came as a pleasant surprise.
Her husband, Ravi, was delighted to hear about the invitation. He was particularly eager to meet Bhaskar, a well-known writer whose books he admired.
Three days later, Shreya and Ravi arrived at Nirupa's independent house in the Padmanabhanagar area. Nirupa and Bhaskar warmly welcomed them. The beautifully arranged Golu dolls, colourful lights, and floral decorations created a wonderful festive atmosphere. Their son, Vishnu, who was studying in the seventh grade, also greeted the guests.
There were no other guests at that time. After serving them juice, Nirupa explained, "I have prepared a mini brunch for everyone. We can all enjoy it after 7:15 p.m."
Meanwhile, Bhaskar and Ravi began discussing various subjects. Ravi expressed his admiration for Bhaskar's books, which were very popular among readers. Bhaskar was equally pleased to meet someone who appreciated his writing so much.
While the two men continued their conversation, Nirupa sat with Shreya and began explaining the reason behind her earlier silence.
"Shreya, this is the third year we are celebrating Navaratri at our home. During the first year, two of our relatives passed away shortly after the second day of the celebrations. We were deeply saddened and stopped inviting people. Unfortunately, the same thing happened last year as well. We were worried and decided to keep the celebrations private.
"This year, however, I wanted to resume inviting our friends. You are one of my closest and most trusted friends, so I decided to invite you first. You are the first friend I have invited this year, and I am very happy that everything has gone well so far.
"My other friends will be visiting after three days, and we have also planned to invite friends from our neighbourhood. I hope we can celebrate the remaining days with happiness and peace."
Shreya listened carefully. Nirupa's explanation immediately cleared the misunderstanding that had troubled her for two years.
After enjoying a delicious brunch with two varieties of sweets, Shreya and Ravi took their leave. Nirupa and Bhaskar presented them with gifts and bid them farewell warmly.
As they drove home, Ravi turned to his wife and said, "Shreya, I know you thought Nirupa had forgotten us during the past two years. But now you understand the real reason. She considers you a good friend and wanted you to be the first person she invited this year. You should feel happy about that."
Shreya smiled with relief.
"Yes, Ravi. I had misunderstood her silence and assumed that she no longer valued our friendship. Today, her explanation has made me realise how wrong my assumption was. I am glad I did not allow my doubts to destroy our friendship."
Ravi was also delighted that he had finally met Bhaskar, the writer whose books he admired so much. Although Bhaskar did not know the full background of Shreya's misunderstanding, Ravi's happiness after meeting his favourite author made the visit even more memorable.
Shreya returned home with a peaceful heart. She had learned an important lesson: Silence does not always mean rejection, and the absence of an invitation does not necessarily mean the absence of affection.
Sometimes, a simple conversation is enough to clear years of misunderstanding and restore the warmth of a genuine friendship.
K.Ragavan
11-10-26

No comments: