Thursday, September 3, 2026

Small Story 723.

 Small Story 723

Life Is Beautiful – 68

The next day, as usual, Ali arrived and picked up Ram for the office. As they proceeded, they found the traffic unusually heavy. There had been an accident involving a vehicle, and the traffic was moving very slowly.

Ali looked at Ram and said, “Sir, it may take some time to reach the office. I have an old cassette with me. It has a Tamil song. If you wish, I can play it.”

Ram smiled and said, “No problem, Ali. Please play it.”

As soon as the song began, Ram was pleasantly surprised. It was one of his favourite songs from the old Tamil film Sumaithangi — “Mayakkama, Kalakkama.” The familiar melody immediately touched his heart, and he listened to it with great emotion.

Ram turned to Ali and asked, “Ali, how did you get this cassette?”

Ali replied, “Sir, this is one of my favourite songs. Whenever I listen to it, I feel very happy and peaceful.”

Those words took Ram's mind back nearly two and a half decades.

He suddenly remembered the day he had met Vasanthy in Bangalore to watch Sumaithangi. After the movie, they had gone to a restaurant for tiffin. While they were having a sweet, Vasanthy quietly whispered to Ram:

“Even though the ending of the film is a little sad, its theme is about family and relationships. I want both of us to take an oath. Whatever hurdles come in our way, even if we have to part temporarily because of our professional responsibilities, we must always find our way back to each other and remain united.”

Ram looked at her lovingly and said, “Certainly, my beautiful Vasanthy. I promise you that I will always think of you.”

Vasanthy smiled and whispered, “I too will keep my promise. I love you.”

That precious memory had remained deep inside Ram's heart for all these years. The familiar song had suddenly brought the entire episode back to life—the cinema, the restaurant, their conversation, and the promises they had made to each other.

As the song continued to play, Ram became silent. His eyes reflected the pain of an old memory. In a barely audible voice, he whispered to himself,

“My dear Vasanthy… I missed you.”

For a few moments, Ram remained lost in the past, unaware of the heavy traffic around him. The song had become a bridge between his present and a beautiful chapter of his past that he had never truly forgotten.

Meanwhile, the traffic slowly began to clear. Within another twenty minutes, Ali reached the Channel office.

Ram thanked Ali warmly and said, “Thank you, Ali. Your old cassette brought back a very precious memory today.”

Ali smiled, not fully knowing how deeply that simple song had touched Ram's heart.

Ram then got down from the car and walked into the office, carrying with him the memories of Vasanthy and the promise they had once made.

To be continued

K.Ragavan

4-9-26

No comments: