Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Small Story 735.

 Small Story 735

Life Is Beautiful – 80

Ram could hardly believe the voice he heard on the phone. It was a voice that had been familiar to him for more than 29 years. It was none other than his beloved Vasanthy.

Ram pinched himself to make sure he was not dreaming.

“Hello, Ram. This is Vasanthy. You will be surprised to hear from me. Over the past few days, Kaadhambari told me about your visit to Dubai. She also showed me the photographs taken at the Cricket Stadium and at the Emirates Restaurant, along with Prasanna. But when I finally saw your face in the photograph, I was completely shocked. You are the same Ram whom I knew all those years ago. That day, I thanked my Goddess for bringing my Ram back to me in this country.”

Ram was overwhelmed with emotion. He could hardly believe that Vasanthy had returned to his life after so many years.

“Vasanthy, this is a great shock as well as a wonderful surprise for me. How did you come back into my life after all these years?”

Vasanthy replied, “Let me narrate everything to you from the beginning. After I left Mysore following my mother’s death, I came to Mahabaleshwar and worked there for a few days. Later, I was sent to the Head Office for training. After completing my training, I returned after two years and was posted back to Mahabaleshwar.

“During my tenure there, I met a colleague who had the same name and initial as mine. We became very close friends. One day, she invited me to stay with her and her mother. She also had a one-year-old daughter named Kaadhambari, who was a very cute little child. Her mother was also staying with them and was doing consultancy work.

“While I was staying with them, I became very close to my friend and her mother. I told them about our friendship and how much I was waiting for the day when we could get married. At the same time, I was completely concentrating on my work. I also sent a letter to your college in Bangalore, but unfortunately, I received no response.”

Ram suddenly remembered something.

“Now I remember. At that time, we had all gone to Singapore along with some of our colleagues. Your letter might have reached the office while I was away and perhaps I never received it.”

Vasanthy continued, “Fate changed everything on a Friday. My friend went out for an inspection, while her mother went to attend a marriage. She asked me to stay at home with little Kaadhambari. Before leaving, she asked me to watch a cassette she had brought especially for me.”

Ram was curious.

“What was the cassette, Vasanthy?”

Vasanthy paused for a moment and asked affectionately,

“My dear Ram, can you guess?”

The moment Ram heard her reply, he was completely shocked.

To be continued…

K. Ragavan

16-9-26

No comments: