Small Story 737
Life Is Beautiful – 82
The next morning, while Ram was on his way to the office, he received a call from Prasanna.
Prasanna: “Hello, Sir. I am comfortable here. The training is going on well, and I am enjoying it. When are you leaving for Mysore, Sir? Please convey my regards to Kaadhambari.”
Ram: “I am fine, Prasanna. I am leaving for Mysore on Monday. Enjoy your stay and take care of yourself.”
Prasanna: “Thank you, Sir. You too take care. Bye.”
Prasanna ended the call.
Ram appreciated Prasanna’s thoughtfulness and was especially happy that he had conveyed his regards to Kaadhambari.
As the car moved towards the office, Ram’s thoughts went back to his conversation with Vasanthy the previous night. Her past life, the memories of those 26 years, and the familiar voice he had finally heard again kept occupying his mind.
He wondered how Vasanthy would look now and, more importantly, how she would feel when she saw him in person on Saturday.
Suddenly, his thoughts were interrupted by Ali.
Ali: “Sir, Madam told me that you are leaving on Monday. I will really miss you, Sir. Though your stay here has been short, your behaviour and your soft nature have impressed me very much.”
Ram: “Thank you, Ali. I believe everyone should respect one another and move with friendliness and understanding.”
By then, Ali had reached the office.
When Ram entered the reception area, Kaadhambari was already there.
Kaadhambari: “Good morning, Ram. Grand Ma told me that she would be inviting you for lunch tomorrow. She said she would call you in the morning.”
Ram: “That’s nice.”
As soon as Ram reached his chair, a member of the staff served him his usual tea. After having his tea, he moved to the Editorial Room and completed his work.
Later, he returned to his chair and sat down. Just then, his phone began to ring.
It was Grand Ma.
Grand Ma: “Good morning, Mr. Ram. I hope you are fine and enjoying the atmosphere here.”
Ram: “Yes, Madam. I am enjoying my stay very much.”
Grand Ma: “I called to remind you that tomorrow you are coming to our place for lunch. Please be ready at 11 a.m. Kaadhambari will pick you up from your place. I would also like you to inform your close friends and contacts to join us through a video call at 11:30 a.m. Dubai time.”
Ram: “Certainly, Madam. See you tomorrow. Have a nice day.”
Grand Ma ended the call.
Ram was puzzled. Why had Grand Ma asked him to invite his close friends for a video conference?
Every day seemed to bring a new development. Only the previous night, he had had a long and emotional conversation with his beloved Vasanthy. And now, Grand Ma had asked him to arrange a video call with his friends during tomorrow’s lunch.
What could be the reason?
His curiosity grew.
By then, Atkinson had come out of a meeting and wished Ram.
Atkinson: “Good morning, Ram.”
Ram: “Good morning, Atkinson.”
After exchanging greetings, Atkinson became busy with his work, and Ram too continued with his office responsibilities.
In the evening, while they were returning home, Ali played a recording from the film Sumaithangi.
This time, the song was “Mayakkama, Kalakkama.”
The familiar melody filled the car.
Ram listened silently. The song brought back memories of Vasanthy and the past, while Grand Ma’s mysterious invitation for the next day remained in his mind.
His curiosity and suspense about tomorrow’s lunch meeting grew even stronger.
To be continued...
K. Ragavan
18-9-26
No comments:
Post a Comment