Sunday, September 20, 2026

Small Story 740.

 

Small Story 740

Life Is Beautiful – 85

Before lunch began, Anusha Madam stood up and said, “Sorry, everyone. Before we start our lunch, I would like to announce something very important.

“After 26 years, two old friends, Ram and Vasanthi, have reunited. From today onwards, they are husband and wife. Tomorrow, we are going to conduct their marriage ceremony here in the presence of selected friends and guests and obtain the necessary marriage certificate.

“Since Vasanthi may be travelling to the US soon, her passport needs to be updated with Ram’s name as her spouse. I will personally take care of the necessary formalities with the Consulate on Monday and get it done.

“I have requested Vasanthi, whom I have always treated like my own daughter after the demise of my daughter, to accept this marriage. Today, I am arranging this marriage with only one wish—that both Ram and Vasanthi should begin a beautiful new life filled with peace, happiness and mutual understanding.”

Everyone applauded warmly.

The announcement was followed by a delicious lunch prepared with great affection by Vasanthi. There were several varieties of dishes, along with Ram’s favourite sweets—Mysore Pak and Halwa. Everyone enjoyed the meal and appreciated Vasanthi’s cooking.

After lunch, at the scheduled time, Anusha Madam sat comfortably in a chair while Kaadhambari got ready to record the proceedings. The video conference began, and Ram’s friends and well-wishers from different places joined the meeting.

Anusha Madam briefly explained what had happened during the past few days. She especially admired Ram for having remained silent about his past and for never revealing his personal life to anyone.

She then spoke about Vasanthi.

“Vasanthi, in her own quiet way, concentrated on bringing up the cute little Kaadhambari with confidence and dignity. She never went searching for her Ram. She always had a deep confidence that, one day, she would meet him again. And today, that has happened.

“Tomorrow, they are going to get married in a proper religious ceremony here. Ram will be travelling to India on Monday, and after a few days, Vasanthi will accompany him to Mysore.

“I am extremely happy to see all of you here. I am also happy to see Ram’s little friend Tommy among us.

“Youngsters, you may wish the couple. Elders, please bless Ram and Vasanthi and pray that they have a peaceful and happy life together.”

The meeting continued with warm wishes and blessings from their friends and well-wishers.

After the meeting ended, Atkinson applauded Ram and said that he was deeply impressed by Ram’s character. He admired the fact that Ram had never opened up to anyone about his past and had carried his personal memories silently for so many years.

Kaadhambari, overwhelmed with emotion, walked towards Vasanthi and hugged her.

“Mummy… I am sorry. From now on, I don't think I can call you only ‘Mummy’…”

The reply that came from Vasanthi stunned not only Kaadhambari but everyone around them.

To be continued...

K. Ragavan

21-9-26.


No comments: