Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Small Story 707.

 Small Story 707

Life Is Beautiful52

On Wednesday evening, Ram received a call from Ranjitha.

“Good evening, Mr. Ram. I will be coming to your place at 5 p.m. to pick you up. Please wait at the front gate of your apartment. After picking up Sophia, I will come to your place.”

At 4:55 p.m., Ram was ready. Tommy immediately understood that his master was going out.

Exactly at 5 p.m., Ranjitha arrived and greeted Ram. Sophia was sitting in the front seat beside Ranjitha. Ram occupied the back seat.

As they started, Sophia whispered, “Mr. Ram, my identity is known only to you, Ranjitha, and OO1.”

Ram understood the importance of maintaining Sophia’s confidentiality.

“Your identity and the confidence you have placed in me will remain strictly confidential. It is part of my profession, and I applaud your trust in me. Whatever you have shared with me will remain with me.”

Sophia smiled. “I know, sir. You are a person with vast knowledge and creative ideas.”

Even Ranjitha’s parents did not know about Sophia’s true identity.

Meanwhile, Ranjitha reached her house. It was an independent house located behind the former Premier Studio in Jayalakshmipuram, one of the posh areas of Mysore.

Ranjitha’s father, Ramnath, and her mother, Swetha, warmly greeted Ram and Sophia. Everyone entered the hall, where Swetha offered them juice.

“Ram, it is a pleasure to see you both,” Ramnath said. “I recently read one of your articles. It was very nice.”

Sophia smiled at his remarks.

Ranjitha recalled, “Sophia, the last time I visited your place, you showed me all the places, especially Rocky Mountain. How is your hubby? And how is your passion for drawing?”

“All are fine,” Sophia replied.

Sophia then gave Ramnath a sweet box, while Ram presented him with a Cross pen and wished him a very happy and healthy birthday.

Ramnath said, “In the morning, we had the birthday rituals with relatives and friends. This evening, I wanted to spend some time with both of you.”

“Thank you, Mr. Ramnath,” Ram replied warmly.

Ranjitha showed them around the house and garden before they returned to the hall. Ram admired the cleanliness of the house. Every article was arranged elegantly and with great care.

At around 7:15 p.m., everyone went to the dining hall. A delicious variety of dishes had been prepared, including poori and several other items. There were also two sweets—Kesari and Badam Cake.

“Both these sweets are my favourites,” Ram whispered.

Everyone began eating, and Sophia also enjoyed all the dishes.

Suddenly, Ram noticed a photograph and asked Ramnath, “Who is this gentleman with you?”

Ramnath replied, “When I visited Chennai a long time ago, I met my cousin. He is no more now. He was a popular writer and had won many awards. His name was R. A. Ki. Rangarajan.”

Ram was astonished.

“Oh my God! He is one of my favourite writers. He was the original author of the famous film Sumai Thangi.”

“You are right, Mr. Ramnath,” Ram replied.

“I can never forget Sumai Thangi,” Ram whispered, his voice filled with emotion.

After a delicious dinner and warm conversations, it was time for everyone to depart. Ranjitha dropped Ram at his apartment first and then took Sophia to her hotel.

Tommy was eagerly waiting for his master. As soon as Ram entered, Tommy welcomed him. Ram served him his food and then settled into his favourite chair.

For a few moments, he sat silently, lost in his memories.

Then Ram whispered, “Oh, Vasanthy... the film Sumai Thangi has brought back so many memories of you. I miss you.”

His eyes filled with tears.

To be continued...

K. Ragavan

19-8-26

No comments: