Sunday, August 30, 2026

Small Story 719.

 Small Story 719

Life Is Beautiful – 64

Atkinson continued the conversation.


“How do you feel now about my proposal? Are you ready to accept my offer?”


Ram remained silent for a moment.


“I am thinking about two things. At present, there seems to be no sign of an escalation of the war, and I hope everything will go smoothly. If the situation remains peaceful, I can consider your offer. But I am worried about my little friend, Tommy.”


“Don’t worry about Tommy, Ram,” Atkinson said reassuringly. “Your friend will continue to take care of him. They also love him very much.”


Kaathambari smiled.


“Let us have lunch now. Mr. Ram, which vegetarian restaurant would you suggest?”


Kaathambari immediately replied, “I suggest Venus Restaurant. The atmosphere and the food are excellent. Ram will like it, and it is also one of your favourite places, Chief.”


Atkinson smiled and whispered to Ram.


“I have become a pure vegetarian after three visits to Venus Restaurant!”


All three of them laughed.


Within a few minutes, they reached the popular restaurant. As Ram entered the dining hall, he immediately felt at home. He noticed the familiar atmosphere and soon understood that the restaurant was run by people from Karnataka.


The staff warmly welcomed them and escorted them to a special dining room.


Kaathambari ordered three special vegetarian meals.


Atkinson looked at Ram and smiled.


“Can you speak to the staff in their language?”


Ram nodded.


“Yes, I know Kannada. I lived in Karnataka for more than forty years. Though I am originally from Chennai, I settled in Mysore for a long time.”


Soon, their meals were served. The table was filled with a variety of delicious dishes, followed by two different sweets.


While they were enjoying their lunch, a young man suddenly approached Ram and whispered:


“Hello, Sir. Are you Mr. Ram?”


Ram looked at him carefully.


“Yes. Who are you?”


“Sir, I am Suresh, the son of your friend Athamarao from CFTRI.”


Suddenly, Ram remembered him.


“Oh, yes! Now I remember. When I met your father recently, he told me that you were working here. I am very happy to meet you, Suresh.”


The young man smiled.


“Sir, this is my visiting card. Please come to our home one day. Call me before you come. I came here with my colleagues, so I must leave now. It was a great pleasure meeting you all.”


After exchanging a few more words, Suresh left.


Atkinson looked at Ram and smiled knowingly.


“Now will you agree, Mr. Ram? My intuition is correct!”


Kaathambari looked at Ram with a gentle smile, and then glanced at her Chief.


Perhaps she, too, was beginning to believe that Ram’s life was slowly taking a new and unexpected turn in Dubai.


To be continued...


K. Ragavan

31-8-26

No comments: