Small Story 711.
Life Is Beautiful 56
After a few days, Ram wanted to go for an evening walk near Panchavadi Circle, just for a change. He also thought of having tea at a newly opened restaurant that specialised in different varieties of tea.
Tommy wagged his tail at his master and sat quietly in his place. Ram closed the door and looked outside. Dark clouds were gathering, and he wondered whether they were an indication of rain. After checking the weather carefully, he decided it was safe to go.
Ram started walking and reached the tea restaurant in about fifteen minutes. A few people were already sitting there, enjoying their tea and chatting.
Ram ordered his favourite ginger-and-cardamom tea. While he was waiting, a young boy of about ten came up to his table.
“Sir, are you Mr. Ram, the professor and writer?”
Ram was taken aback. “Yes. Who are you, my dear boy?”
“Sir, my name is Sriram. I am studying in the sixth standard at St. Joseph’s Convent. My mummy and I came here to have tea. She saw you and asked me to confirm whether you were Mr. Ram.”
At that moment, a woman in her mid-thirties approached and wished him.
“Hello, sir. I am Nandhini. I attended the O01 Academy meeting last week. I saw you there and heard your speech. I am thrilled to see you here.”
“Thank you, Nandhini. It is nice to meet you again.”
“I stay very close by, near the house of former producer-director M. P. Shankar. My husband is an IT director at Infosys.”
Ram smiled. “Thank you for recognising me and coming over to greet me.”
“It is my pleasure, sir,” Nandhini replied. “I would like to invite you to Sriram’s birthday celebration on the 4th of next month at our home. Sriram is already interested in writing and blogging. He would be very happy to receive your blessings.”
Ram looked at the boy and smiled.
“Sriram, I wish you all the very best. With your interest in writing, I am sure you can become a great blogger and content creator in the future. Keep reading, keep learning and, above all, keep writing.”
Ram then paused for a moment and said, “Nandhini, thank you very much for inviting me. Unfortunately, I will not be available on Sriram’s birthday, as I will be out of the country in Dubai on that day. I am leaving shortly and I am not sure when I will be returning. Please accept my advance wishes for Sriram, and convey my blessings to him on his special day.”
Nandhini thanked him warmly.
“Sir, I understand that you are leaving for Dubai in a few days. I have a cousin who is settled there. Her husband runs an event-management company, and their only son, Narasimhan, is studying at the University of Wollongong. You can meet them if you have the opportunity. He is also very fond of reading.”
Nandhini then gave Ram her address, phone number and location.
After spending another ten minutes together, they all said goodbye and departed.
As Ram walked home, he wondered about the unexpected encounter.
“What a beautiful evening,” he thought. “I came out for a simple walk and a cup of tea, but it has taken my life in an entirely new direction. Sometimes, the smallest moments can create the most beautiful memories.”
After reaching home, Ram watched the evening news. He then gave Tommy his dinner and switched on the television again. The news was dominated by the ongoing crisis in the Middle East.
Although there had been no immediate attack or major escalation at that moment, Ram felt that he should visit Dubai soon and return before the situation became more uncertain. He decided to travel on Saturday afternoon and reserved a seat on an Emirates flight from Bengaluru.
Raj happened to have a meeting in Bengaluru on the same day. He told Ram that he would drop him at Kempegowda International Airport.
“Raj, there is no need. I can go to the airport myself,” Ram said.
But Raj was firm.
“No, Ram. I will be there. I will drop you at the airport.”
Ram could not persuade him otherwise.
Later that night, sitting quietly with Tommy beside him, Ram whispered to himself:
“How blessed I am. God has given me wonderful friends like Raj and Murthy.”
At the same time, another thought crossed his mind. God had also introduced the beautiful Vasanthy into his life, and Ram wondered why he had failed to recognise the importance of her presence.
Life, he realised, was full of unexpected meetings, friendships, memories and missed opportunities.
Perhaps every new turn had a meaning.
To be continued...
K. Ragavan
23-6-26
No comments:
Post a Comment