Monday, February 10, 2014

Article

A rticle Published in The Gulf Today Uae on 8Feb 14  (336)

Tot’s noble thought

A few days ago, I had occasion to pay a routine visit to a friend’s place. After a welcome cup of tea and the usual parleys, his grandson who had returned from school, entered the room we were seated in and dutifully greeted me.

He then went on to say to his grandfather: “Grandpa, I’ve given the books and pencils to that school.” I was keen to know why the lad was giving books to another school. My friend explained that his grandson had been saving a portion of his pocket money in a small box, and each time, after accumulating a decent sum, he was using the saved money to purchase books and pencils for distribution among needy children in a nearby government school. 

This he had been doing for a year or so. My friend went on to tell me what prompted his grandson to do what he was doing. “Our servant’s son is studying in that school and once, when he happened to visit that school, he was taken aback by the lack of proper infrastructure and facilities the children had to contend with.

 That day itself, he made up his mind to do something about it. Ever since, he has been contributing his mite to their cause. I was absolutely thrilled to learn of a student in only the third grade undertaking to do what many adults have never even thought of doing. As I took leave of my friend, I patted the boy and gave him my blessings for his noble act.
K. Ragavan

No comments: