Friday, July 18, 2014

Article 360.

Article Published in The Gulf Today UAE on  19July (360).

Long-distance love

I received a call from my grandson, asking me when I would be returning to India. When I replied that I would be going in September, I asked him what gifts he wanted from the US. Usually kids expect some kinds of gifts or rewards from their relatives living abroad. However, my grandson’s response was both unexpected and touching.

“Grandpa,” said my grandson, “We don’t want anything from there. We want you to return soon before September. We miss you a lot.”

I was moved by the words of this little boy. More than expecting some form of material gift, he believed the best gift was my presence. When someone thinks of you in that manner, it is a heart-rending moment.

All my grandchildren were with me for nearly 11 years in the UAE. There is a special kind of affection which no one can give you, except grandchildren.
K. Ragavan, Denver

No comments: