Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Letter.

Letter Published in The National UAE on 10April 19Don’t forget the middle classes in Indian elections
I write to you in reference to your article India ruling BJP targets Hindu majority and farmers with election manifesto (April 9). Your piece on the recent manifesto submitted by the Indian ruling party shed light on the intricacies of the coming elections. Personally, I am unsure what I should make of the BJP’s latest move.
On the one hand, I am happy that the ruling NDA government has addressed major Indian problems such as national security, the living conditions of farmers and plans to implement welfare programmes.
But on the other hand, the middle class has been clearly neglected during this campaign. Non-pensioners’ deposit rates continue to rise and life is harder for us now. As a non-pensioner myself, I suffer from rampant inflation and a higher cost of living.
I do hope the BJP will give more thought to this point in the future.
K Ragavan, Bengaluru

No comments: