Sunday, July 19, 2009

Article Published in Gulftoday on 1.september.07.U.a.e.
May 14, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
It’s a pleasure to take a walk every evening near the Rolla museum area as it gives me and a small group of friends a chance to discuss sports, traffic and local happenings.

One of the regulars could not be seen for sometime and I enquired from another friend about him.

“He’s busy as he is running for visa cancellation,” said my friend.

“What? Visa cancellation? Did he quit his present job?’

“Yes, he has been working in the same company for five years with neither monetary benefit nor promotion. He has decided to resign, go back to his native country India and return after some time to look for a new opportunity,” replied my friend.

Just then the friend we were referring to arrived.

“I am fine. After a month’s struggle my company has accepted my resignation,” he declared, but with a gloomy voice.

“But why are you looking sad?”

“Well, I have mentioned in my letter that I am quitting as I have some domestic problem back home. My boss was very upset with my decision. You know what! He had recommended a massive hike in my salary. And the new pay structure was to take effect in two months. I did not know about this and my lie has now put me in an embarrassing situation.”

We parted feeling sad for our friend.

K. Ragavan

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Letter Published in Gulf news on 13.may.08.u.a.e.
May 13, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
Allow aid
This is with reference to the ongoing crisis in Myanmar (”Myanmar votes amid devastation”, Gulf News, May 11).

The support extended by the United Nations and countries including the UAE is applaudable.

The reasons for the authorities in Myanmar to not allow aid workers and journalists inside the country remain unclear – something that needs to be amended immediately.
From Mr K. Ragavan
Ajman

Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment »

Article Published in Gulf today on 29.february.08.U.a.e.
May 12, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
Tinsel Tiger
That actor Aamir khan was honoured with the Best director award for the film Taare Zameen Par in the recent 53rd Film Fare Awards in Mumbai was a piece of good news for his fans.

Taare Zameen Par was one of the best movies, which were recently released. Master Darsheel Safary was also given good actor award.

One of the educative movies of the recent time from Bollywood by Stalwart Aamir khan, it has virtually generated a great deal of awareness about extra care of those children who, in fact, need this from the society. Kudos to Aamir khan and Darsheel.

K Ragavan



Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Article Published in Gulftoday on2.February.08.u.a.e.
May 12, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
No end to desires

A group of relatives had arrived home recently and I took them out to places of interest in Sharjah. They purchased various electronic items and perfumes, but were not content with the purchases. And they literally shopped till they dropped.

In the evening, I took them to a restaurant for dinner. They enjoyed delicious snacks and sweets which are popular in their hometown Bangalore of India.

“Try some more sweets,” I suggested. “No, we are full,” they screamed in a chorus.

“When it comes to electronic and other gift items you could not restrict your desires.

But when it comes to eating, nature has created a system where one could not exceed limits,” I said.

“Yes, we agree material desires never end,” they nodded their head. I felt like a philosopher.

K. Ragavan



Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Article published in Gulftoday on22.march.08.u.a.e.
May 12, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
So near yet so far

I was recently travelling from Sharjah to Dubai when my mobile phone rang. The call was from a close friend.

“Where are you?” I asked.

“I am travelling. Commuting to Dubai has become too tough. I am unable to keep appointments,” he started grumbling.

“Once the new road projects are completed, the situation may ease,” I consoled him.

“I left Sharjah an hour ago and have just reached Al Taawun mall,” he said.

“What a surprise! I am also near Al Taawun mall. I hope to reach Dubai Cinema area in an hour,” I replied.

“I have some work near Dubai Cinema. Maybe, we can meet,” he suggested.

I agreed.

After an hour my bus reached Dubai Cinema stop.

While getting down, I noticed my friend also getting down from the same bus through the front side.

It was funny that we did not realise we were travelling in the same bus.

K. Ragavan



Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Article published in Gulftoday.16.march.08.u.a.e.
May 12, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
Boy, toy and joy

A couple of days ago, I went for a long drive along with my family on Hatta road. We halted at a roadside restaurant for tea.

Suddenly, my grandson insisted that he wanted a toy.

I saw a boy at a distance selling toys made of clay.

I hesitated to buy the toy as my grandson already had plenty of such items at home.

The sales boy repeatedly requested me to buy. I asked him how much profit he would make if he sold two.

“One dirham.”

“I will give you that one dirham. Keep the toys.”

The boy frowned.

“Sorry, I don’t want to take anything free. I am doing this to meet my school fee expenses.”

I was stunned by his answer.

I bought 20 toys from that dignified boy.

K. Ragavan



Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Article publiched in Gulftoday on 26.january.08.u.a.e.
May 12, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
Valid question
A friend called up to say his parents were arriving for a visit.
“Have you got their visa?” I asked him.
“You remind me of one thing. I asked my travel agent what is visa and whether it is an acronym. He is not able to explain. In fact, I have asked a dozen friends and none seem to know.”
I cut him short. “Visa means Valid International Stay Advice.”
“This is the advantage of old age. You seem to know so many things,” he joked.
K. Ragavan



Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Letter published in Khaleejtimes.14.april.08.u.a.e.
May 12, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
Fujairah road accidents

14 April 2008YOUR issue of April 13 said that the number of accidents in Fujairah last month was 745. This is really alarming and it shows that motorists are not following road rules and regulations. In spite of strict measures taken by the traffic department, that these accidents are still happening is a sad state of affairs. Fujairah is a small emirate and the number of accidents are yet so high in a month.







— K.Ragavan, Ajman







Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Letter published in Khaleejtimes on 5.April.08.u.a.e.
May 12, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
It’s unfair!

5 April 2008

THIS is with reference to the report on rising air fares in the (KT edition dated March 28). This is simply not fair! People living in the UAE are already undergoing a lot of stress, thanks to the spiralling cost of living. An increase in air fares will add further to all this stress and tension. People who are not getting the air fare benefit from their companies will be greatly affected. I hope the authorities concerned will reconsider the decision.
- K Ragavan, Ajman



Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Letter published in Week end,Khaleejtimes onmarch14.08.u.a.e.
May 12, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
Tip with a smile
THE ARTICLE Are You a Tipper by Patrick Michael ( February 22-28) was thought provoking and meaningful. Today tipping has become a prestige issue. In most of the star hotels, service charges get added to the bill. I personally encourage above Dh25 or we can give 10 per cent of the bill as a tip.

Even though waiters are paid a tip is or should be given graciously. -K Ragavan, Ajman

No comments: