Sunday, July 19, 2009

Letter Published in Gulf today on 1.June.08.U.A.E.
June 1, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
Clean environment Dear Madam,

The Gulf Today’s report ‘Smoking ban in Sharjah from June 1′ published on May 29 delighted the non-smokers. This ban will bring about a pleasant change not only for people’s health but also for the environment as it will help keeping public places clean. The fear of hefty fines will discourage careless people who just throw away stubs and even smouldering cigarettes that can cause a serious fire break out anywhere. Being a responsible resident I appreciate this move.

K.Ragavan / Sharjah



Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

lETTER DATED 1.jUNE.08.pUBLISHED IN tHE nATIONAL aBUDHABI, Fake Drugs are Danger to all.
June 1, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
Fake drugs are a danger to all
» Last Updated: May 31. 2008 10:31PM UAE / May 31. 2008 6:31PM GMT
» Send to friend
» Have your say


The proposal by the Government to crack down on drug counterfeiters is good news (The National, Jail threat for fake medicine, May 30).

Faking, counterfeiting and adulterating products are great crimes that affect all of society. The proposed fine of Dh1 million or 10 years prison for those caught doing so may reduce such counterfeiting. According to the European Union, the UAE is the third biggest source of counterfeit drugs confiscated on their way to the EU.

I am confident the trafficking will decline under the new law enforcement measures by the Government.

K Ragavan, Ajman

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Article Published in Gulf today. on 31.May.08.U.A.E.
May 31, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
Whom to blame?

Knowingly and unknowingly we keep making mistakes. Recently, I have come across one such mistake committed by a fellow passengers on my way to Ajman. The other day while I boarded up one of the buses plying towards Ajman from Sharjah-Rolla bus stand, I found another passenger entered. He paid Dhs5 to the ticket collector and he returned Dhs2, as the fare till Ajman is such and the passenger took the change back.

The passenger who sat behind me started sleeping in no time.The last stop came and all the passengers board out but I found that person was still sitting, snoring away. I woke him up and asked him to get down since that was the last stop. He was startled and asked me, “How come Bur Dubai reached so fast, it generally takes two hours or more.”

Later he realised he mistook Ajman bus instead of Bur Dubai which was waiting before the same row of Ajman while he board on from Sharjah.

The funniest part is while he received Dhs2 back, at that time also he didnt realise he has taken the wrong bus which will drop him to the wrong destination. Instead he thought RTA must have revised the fare. I was indecisive of the whole situation – Whom to blame for the incident?

K.Ragavan

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Letter Published in The National,Abudhabi,on 30.May.08.U.A.E.
May 30, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan

One toll is better than two
» Last Updated: May 29. 2008 10:02PM UAE / May 29. 2008 6:02PM GMT
» Send to friend
» Have your say


In reference to the article New tolls to ease traffic chaos (May 28), which stated that the Road and Transport Authority (RTA) is going to launch two more Salik toll points at Al Maktoum Bridge and the second interchange on Sheikh Zayed Road. This is not very good news for motorists. Already people face many problems, such as rent and inflation, and this is an additional burden. On the one hand I appreciate the mission of the RTA to ease traffic congestion. On the other, they could introduce one new place instead of two. If wages were higher, people could afford to pay the Salik toll.

K Ragavan, Ajman




Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Letter Published in Gulftoday on 27.May.08.U.A.E.
May 27, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
Happy commuters

Dear Madam,

The Gulf Today’s May 24 issue that carried news related to the starting of public buses in Sharjah brought about a source of delight for the commuters. Indeed it is relieving to have buses plying between many destinations. Despite many private cabs we see on the roads, passengers faced difficulties as cabbies do not even bother to carry them in an emergency. It all depends on their mood, whether to stop the cab or not.

But we are happy that Sharjah Transport Authority has introduced many buses for different routes. Residents can now frequently and without much hassle roam around not only within the Emirate but also outside it.

K.Ragavan

Sharjah







Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment »

LETTERPUBLISHED INTHENATIONAL.ON25.MAY.U.A.E.
May 26, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
Updated: May 24. 2008 11:31PM UAE / May 24. 2008 7:31PM GMT

» Send to friend


This is with reference to your story “Fighting taboo to talk about breast cancer” (Friday, May 23). The article was interesting and informative. It is good to hear that some women have got together to meet in Dubai, they will provide support and confidence for those who need it.

Medical technology has developed various methods of treating these illnesses, but despite all the drugs that are available, there is no substitute for hope.

K Ragavan, Ajman

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Article published in Gulf todayon 18.8.07.U.A.E.
May 22, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
Fruits of sincerity

Reap as you sow is a universal fact. When we help someone sincerely, I am sure positive rewards come through different ways. At least, that’s what I found in my own case.

A year ago, while on my routine work, I met a creative advertisement consultant in Dubai. I voluntarily suggested some advertisement concepts and he was highly impressed. He asked me what he could do for me in return. I told him that I had merely shared some ideas and it was not meant as business. The gentleman thanked me and bid farewell.

Recently, one of my friends working in Dubai pleaded with me that a close relative of his was looking for a job as copy writer.

He said the man needed a job desperately owing to family reasons. I remembered the consultant and called him up. “You helped me with a successful concept. I will appoint your friend as a copy writer,” he told me on phone. You can imagine my joy.

K. Ragavan

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Article Published in Gulf today on.21.4.07.U.A.E.
May 22, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
Pulling a fast one

I WAS sitting in a relaxed mood when suddenly I got a phone call.

Hello,who is this?

“Hey, I am your friend X, I am in a deep trouble.”

“What’s the problem?” I queried.

“Last week I got my driving licence and today I got my bank loan approved for buying a car. I need an initial amount to pay the bank for the loan to be sanctioned.”

I asked how much money was needed. “Dhs4,650,” he replied.

I told him that I did not have that amount but could arrange for the same if he promised to return the money in a stipulated period.

My friend agreed and said he would come and collect the same in the evening.

When my friend came, I hurriedly handed over the money to him but he burst out laughing as he had played the April 1 prank on me.

K. Ragavan

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

ArticlePublished in Gulf today.7.04.07.U.A.E.
May 22, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
Nightmare in daytime

IT’S better to think twice before walking around Rolla areas on Fridays. Many people lose no time when it comes to criticising the authorities, but when it comes to civic sense, the same people turn their face the other way.

Let me explain. Last Friday evening, I went for shopping in Rolla area. While crossing the Bank Street, I witnessed several people crossing the road and greeting each other. In a jubilant mood, I joined the crowd when a dim-witted person, obviously with the least civic sense, spat on my dress. Adding insult to injury, he glanced at me, did not even utter the word “sorry,” and vanished in the crowd.

On Fridays, several workers meet and greet each other at the historical Rolla maidan. I appreciate their camaraderie, but they should not be allowed to throw civic sense to the winds.

I am not alone to have faced such a bitter experience. I met a person at a shopping mall with whom I had a casual conversation.

“Today the crowd is little more than usual,” I said. “Yes, I have been trying to cross the road twice, but had a tough time because I was forced to go home twice,” he replied.

“You forgot something?” I asked.

“No, Some insensitive person spat on me and I had to change my shirt.”

K. Ragavan

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Letter Published in The National Abudhabi,on 21.May.08.U.A.E.
May 21, 2008 by krishnamachari ragavan
The world is watching
» Last Updated: May 20. 2008 8:32PM UAE / May 20. 2008 4:32PM GMT
» Send to friend
» Have your say


This is with reference to your story, “Democrats ponder Clinton’s future” (Monday, May 19), by Sharmila Devi. It was an interesting read. The publicity surrounding US presidential elections always reaches fever pitch, sometimes it gets too much. Of course, the media plays a very important role in American democracy.

Both Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are liked by the American people, the question is who will fix the mess that has been made by the present administration. The world will be watching the result with great anticipation.

As Devi rightly puts it, it will take the next president an entire term to fix this situation. This election is a crucial one, not just for America, but for the entire globe.

K Ragavan,Ajman.

No comments: